Happy Flowers in my Backyard

Happy Flowers in my Backyard

Monday, July 25, 2011

The Serenity of Meeting New People

During this summer of my serenity I have made it a goal to meet a lot of new people.  I hope that some of them will at least become friends and some will be acquaintances but I will say that this quest has been fun and will remain a quest throughout the rest of the summer.

On Saturday evening, my husband and I attended a performance at a local distillery.  It was a duo who performed mostly folksy type of music - relatively entertaining, but I was fascinated by the people I met while having a drink at the bar.  There was a couple who had bought a farm after spending a good deal of time leaving in the city-originally they had a smaller home in the area for weekends, but decided to ditch city living for the country and bought a farm.  They are not actually farmers just landowners and they are happy and seem to have located their key to serenity.

I also met a woman who promoted the concert.  She had been a very successful caterer well know to the area and admired for her culinary designs and creations.  She had a accident that crushed her leg and was laid up during that time she came up with a product creation and started marketing it locally.  I by chance had tasted the product at a in-store event at the grocery store near me, loved the product and bought a bottle at the concert she announced that a distributor had picked up her product and it would be marketed to specialty stores in the Long Island, NY area.  By the way, she has given up the catering business and now just does her sesame sauces.

The weekend also introduced me to 4 different people who have pilots licenses and fly their own small planes, as well as a young PhD candidate who wants to start her own nonprofit to help bring arts & music to students whose public schools no longer offer these programs.  I am going to help her come up with a plan of action and advise her on steps to format this endeavor.

This weekend was an eye opener for me.  I found out that in order to maintain and keep my serenity I must surround myself with people who have already located their serenity and their "passion" and remove from my circle the people who are consistently throwing off negativity.

Serenity apparently can not only be found in waterfalls and nature but also in the people that you meet.

1 comment:

  1. Very well said, Lois.

    http://rosa-i-think-i-will-stay.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete