Happy Flowers in my Backyard

Happy Flowers in my Backyard

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Can Heat be serene?

I have been wondering all day long whether really hot weather can be considered "serene"?  I am either sitting on the screened-in porch hoping for a cool breeze or laying on a float in the pool (which is supposed unheated but today was 82 degrees.  Normally these activities would be considered very serene, but I am finding it difficult to be at ease when it's in the 90s in a mountain retreat, even the waterfall seems to be unhappy.

On Sunday my brother, sister-in-law and my nephew stopped in for an overnight visit on their way to a performance my nephew was beat boxing in at a resort in the Catskills.  My sister-in-law immediately took to the surroundings, kicked back and found her serenity, but my brother, although he had an enjoyable visit seemed to have quite a difficult time locating his peacefulness.  I find myself concerned that in spite of what would be a "life changing" accident just under 2 years ago he still has not found his "serenity" at least as far as I can tell.  I cannot force him to find his inner peace, but I hope that some day in the very near future he will realize that life happens and you cannot always control situations, sometimes you just have to let "the chips fall as they may."

I know I have control issues as well (maybe it's genetic) but the past six months have really allowed me to take a hard look at my life, as I have send in earlier posts-when I began this journey of unemployment everyone told be to use the time to find my passion, but I have found it's not the passion I need to locate it's my serenity and the ability to learn that I cannot control everything, only a few things.  This realization has helped me locate my serenity.  Although, the waterfall and greenery have certainly had an impact.

1 comment:

  1. Nice observations, but sometimes I think you have to actively pursue serenity----force it to happen, otherwise it can be elusive. The active pursuit can take the form of decluttering your house, (a very non-serene activity, BTW), seeking out and purchasing aromatherapy or an ambient music CD, joining a Yoga class, or tracking down a little haven with a waterfall! But none of these things "just happens", they are sought after, thereby arousing the "control demon". It's hard to find the balance. Meanwhile, I was certainly serene while experiencing your waterfall, Lois!
    Thanks for the opportunity to "find my bliss", as Joseph Campbell used to say.

    ReplyDelete