Happy Flowers in my Backyard

Happy Flowers in my Backyard

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Serenity and Freedom

This past weekend I went to visit Bethel Woods which houses a museum dedicated to Woodstock and the summer of love-1969-I was 12 and at camp for the summer, but I remember hearing about it from counselors who wanted to attend.  My husband who is 6 years older than I am actually wanted to get in his car and go up to Woodstock, but opted out when they showed the traffic on the roads near Yaskers Farm.
Having now driven on these roads I can understand the traffic issues, but that really has nothing to do with this blog.

As I wandered through the exhibits remembering the music and looking at the news footage of various events of the decade (60's)  I realized how important our current freedoms have become.  As "boomers" who at one time eschewed the corporate life that we now all lead I wonder if each of us needs to go back to Woodstock and take stock of our lives.

In the sixties and early seventies we wanted to be out of a war (okay no change there only now it's a different war), we wanted civil rights, we wanted women's rights, free speech and for our opinions to matter.  While many of these issues have reached a goal, especially women's rights and for the most part civil rights although I will say we still have along way to go.  We do not want to give up our big cars, our designer clothes or going to the favorite "in" spot to dine, but we are trending towards less processed foods and more organic, free-range and home grown products.  Yes let's hear it for the "Hog" Farm - Wavy Gravy's commune that helped feed the 500,000 hippies that showed up at Yasker's Farm for 3 days of Peace, Love, Rock and Roll rain, mud and fun.

My goal for the summer has been to find serenity in as many parts of my life as possible.  I am lucky - I have peace in my life and I am finding serenity as well.  Do I wish I had been old enough to attend Woodstock?  At the time I probably would have said absolutely, now I am happy with who I am, how old I am and where my life has taken me to this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment